Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Brahimi's first formal remarks to the UN General Assembly on Syria

The Joint Special Representative for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi. 
REMARKS TO THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY ON THE SITUATION IN SYRIA 
New York, 4 September 2012
LAKHDAR BRAHIMI


JOINT SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVE OF THE OF THE UN/LAS FOR SYRIA

Mr. President,
Mr. Secretary-General,
It is a great honour indeed to come to this Assembly as I prepare to start this difficult mission.
I thank you Mr. President for your kind words, and I am deeply thankful to you, Mr. Secretary-General for your confidence and your support.
As you said, Mr. Secretary-General, in a few days' time, I will go to Cairo to see Dr. Nabil Al Araby, the Secretary-General of the League of Arab States, to express appreciation for his confidence and benefit from his advice and guidance as I have benefited from yours, Mr. Secretary-General.
You have just described the grave situation which prevails in Syria today. It has been deteriorating steadily. The death toll is staggering, the destruction is reaching catastrophic proportions and the suffering is immense.
I am looking forward to my visit to Damascus in a few days time, and also, when convenient and possible to all the countries who are in a position to help the Syrian-led political process become a reality, “leading to a transition that respects the legitimate aspirations of the Syrian people and enables them independently and democratically to determine their own future”.
The future of Syria will be built by its people and none other. The support of the international community is indispensable and urgent. It will only be effective if all pull in the same direction.

Mr. President,
As I told the Secretary-General a few days ago, I, myself, my deputy Nasser Alkidwa and my teem will spare no effort to participate in the common endeavour to find peace for the Syrian people.
Thank you.
Follow me on Twitter @NabilAbiSaab

No comments:

Post a Comment